Sunday, August 3, 2014

Lime Crime Velvetines and a lipstick

**Note: Since after doing this review and swatches, I, just like many other dissatisfied LC customers out there, have stopped purchasing and using products from this company because of the shit customer service and attitude they've shown to their clientele.**


Over the past several months, I've become a pretty big fan of the Lime Crime Velvetines, and was so excited to finally get two of the "Gothatine" shades they just came out with.  I picked up Wicked and Salem and already owned Red Velvet and Pink Velvet.

There aren't many negative things to say about all four of these Velvetines that I have except maybe that they're not 100% transfer-proof in my experience.  Regardless, they're the closest thing to transfer-proof I've ever worn on my lips.  You may not love these quite as much if you're prone to dry or chapped lips.  Absolutely moisturize and exfoliate the lips to prepare for these products because they'd be dreadful on dry lips.  Also, the value isn't that great since you don't get much product at all for the $20 each Velvetines cost.

The doefoot applicator is a really great size for applying to differently sized lips because it's on the smaller side and won't glob too much onto thinner lips, yet it's not so small that it takes tons more effort to apply to full lips.  The applicator also does an awesome job at shaping my cupid's bow without the use of a lip brush.  The swatches I'm attaching in this post involved no lip brushes and I applied the product only with the applicator.

Without further ado, here are swatches of the four Velvetine shades I own:


Staining left behind from Pink Velvet after using a makeup wipe.

Pink Velvet Velvetine

Red Velvet Velvetine

Salem "Gothatine" Velvetine

Wicked "Gothatine" Velvetine


Quick note about Wicked: unlike the other three shades that I have, Wicked is a bit more difficult to apply evenly and requires a bit more effort and usually a second dip into the product.  Not the end of the world, but the other three apply much more evenly and with less effort.

These Velvetines do stain my lips a bit, but I never am bothered by staining because I just wear some other lipstick over it anyway and it isn't noticeable.  Doing swatches on the back of my hand left a significant stain, however, which isn't coming off easily from makeup wipes alone.



I also got this Geradium lipstick when I ordered the Gothatines.  I wanted Poisonberry because purple is my jam, but it was out of stock the day I ordered (and, of course, it came back like a day or two later; just my luck), so I got Geradium because it's one I've always loved seeing on their site compared to the rest.  It's a gorgeous and bright coral-pink that shows up mostly pink on me, especially without foundation, as you can see in the swatch below.  Very creamy formula and super opaque, but it's quite thick and it gives that awkward feeling on the lips for me, like as if I applied too much lipstick and it's beginning to really pile on, even with only one layer.  I would not recommend setting this with a powder if you want to mattify because it would most likely cake up.

Geradium is very similar to MAC Viva Glam Nicki in color, and VG Nicki is a satin finish, so the texture isn't that different, either.


Geradium lipstick


All controversies and drama related to Lime Crime aside, the quality of the Velvetines is amazing and I love them because they really do last all day, except maybe for if I eat something oily and there will be fading in the center of the lips.  As for their lipsticks, I don't think I will be purchasing any other colors if they're all similar to Geradium.  I very much prefer drier and more matte lip colors, which is what makes me love Velvetines so much.


All Lime Crime Velvetines and lipsticks (as well as Carousel Gloss, Zodiac Glitters, a shadow primer, and some shadow palettes) can all be purchased on Lime Crime's website.  Velvetines retail for $20 each and lipsticks are $18 each.  Lime Crime's products are all vegan and not tested on animals, as per their website and social medias.

No comments:

Post a Comment