Sunday, August 3, 2014

Pretty Zombie Cosmetics liquid lipsticks

I'd been eyeing these liquid lipsticks from Pretty Zombie Cosmetics for a while before finally deciding to order myself two colors as a birthday present to myself.  They appeared to be, formula-wise, good dupes for Lime Crime's Velvetines, but come in a couple of colors that LC doesn't currently offer.

When I applied each of these liquid lipsticks, the application felt pretty much exactly the same as applying a Velvetine and dries matte the same way as well.  Velvetines are sweetly scented, so if you don't like scented lip products (I happen to love them!), Pretty Zombie's liquid lipsticks aren't scented at all.  Probably the biggest difference I notice between Velvetines and Pretty Zombie liquid lipsticks is that, in my experience, Pretty Zombie is NOT transfer proof.  It transfers less than non-matte lipsticks, but still transfers, whereas Velvetines transfer less.  I've found that the PZC lippies are actually more comfortable than Velvetines, too.  Sometimes, if my lips are not properly moisturized before applying, the Velvetines will feel very drying on my lips and almost make them feel as if they're shriveling up.  Nicht gut.

With the more runny liquid lip products I've worn before, including these, it can be difficult to apply the product without overdoing it and making a mess.  I find the best way to avoid this is to start applying the product in the center of the lower lip, then take whatever's left on the applicator or brush and use that to shape the upper lip and cupid's bow.  Sometimes, a lip brush can make it even easier to get a more precise shape with these liquid products, but I manage with just the doefoot applicator.


Anyway!  Here are some swatches.

3 Witches; cool, deep purple with no red undertones

Black Cat; pure, opaque matte black

*Side note about "Black Cat": this product would be amazing to use for cosplay, as would any of the colors, but "Black Cat" would do wonders for a Homestuck troll costume, as it has awesome lasting power.

As it may be noticeable in these swatch photos, this liquid-to-matte formula does accentuate any dry patches that may be on the lips.  For the sake of swatching these products, I didn't moisturize prior to application, but I recommend that anyone who wears liquid-to-matte products to definitely moisturize the lips with a balm at least a few minutes before applying.  The color payoff and coverage is amazing with these products.


These liquid lipsticks retail for $12 each and can be ordered on Pretty Zombie Cosmetics' official website.  One downside to ordering from this company is that popular shades often go out of stock and take a while to be restocked.  It's worth the wait, though, if you like liquid-to-matte products.  For a little over half the price of a Lime Crime Velvetine, you get much more product in the tube.  All of their lip products are vegan and cruelty-free!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment